Mr Mark Gaston has specialist expertise in and offers orthopaedic surgery on the following for adults and children:
Mr Gaston offers specialist orthopaedic surgery at Spire Edinburgh Hospitals for problems of the knee. This includes assessment of knee pain and treatment of ligament and cartilage injuries caused by sport and exercise. The majority of Mr Gaston’s knee treatments are carried out arthroscopically (keyhole knee surgery) and he has particular expertise in the treatment of knee problems in adolescents and young adults.
The knee conditions commonly treated by Mr Gaston include:
- Meniscal (cartilage) tear – arthroscopic (keyhole) repair or removal
- Osteochondritis dissecans – arthroscopic (keyhole) stimulation +/- fixation
- Patellar (knee-cap) instability and dislocation – arthroscopic (keyhole) assisted realignment and stabilisation surgery
- Ligament injuries – arthroscopic (keyhole) assisted repair and reconstruction
- Discoid meniscus – arthroscopic (keyhole) ‘saucerisation’ +/- stabilisation
- Arthroscopic (keyhole) removal of loose bodies (loose fragments of cartilage or bone in the knee) and chondroplasty with radiofrequency stabilisation for areas of early degeneration (wear and tear).
There is rapid access to this surgery at Spire Shawfair Park Hospital and it can be performed as a day case under a short general anaesthetic, with rapid recovery times.
Mr Gaston does not perform knee joint replacement surgery – onward referral if this is required following knee assessment can be facilitated.
Please contact us for more details.