Mr Mark Gaston has expertise in and commonly treats the orthopaedic / musculoskeletal manifestations of the following neurological conditions in children and adults
- Cerebral palsy (Hemiplegia, Diplegia, Quadriplegia and Total body involvement CP)
- Neuropathies and Myopathies (Congenital Nerve and Muscle conditions)
- Spina Bifida
Mark’s NHS practice includes 2 sub-speciality clinics in the orthopaedic management of motor disorders (e.g. cerebral palsy) and the orthopaedic treatment of spina bifida as part of a multi-disciplinary group. He is the clinical specialist of the gait analysis service based at the Anderson Gait Laboratory (Astley Ainsley Hospital) for this region.
His main interests in the above conditions centre around:
- Disorders of Gait (walking pattern) encountered in neuromuscular conditions and multilevel lower limb surgery for gait improvement.
- Gait analysis and the application of the surgical recommendations made from this
- Hip subluxation and dislocation related to neuromuscular conditions and surgical hip reconstruction
- Foot deformities resulting from neuromuscular conditions and the surgical correction of these
- Upper limb problems encountered in cerebral palsy
- Assessment of spinal conditions seen in neuromuscular disease (e.g. scoliosis)
- All other musculoskeletal conditions seen in cerebral palsy